Friday, August 22, 2014

Kerb Kerve

For years I've admired a kerbstone in the city of Truro. I can't honestly say that's normal, but there it is. Yesterday, I finally managed to get myself, the kerbstone, the camera, and some sunshine all in the same place at once.

Look at that shape. (I dunno, would we call that an ovolo with quirk?)  It's granite, for the love of Mike. How ever long did it take some unknown artisan to shape that thing so cleanly? And, more to the point, why? But 'tis a thing of beauty, and thus I share it with the interweb.

A little way down the road, a view of the cathedral ended up, quite by chance, with a rather apposite shop sign in shot. Made me chuckle anyway.


6 comments:

  1. Alf have you swapped out pens for (granite) paving stones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I find they feel a bit rough on the paper, and the ink flow is frankly abysmal.

      Delete
  2. It is a shame that the beautifully crafted granite quirked ovolo curb is flanked by the sloppily patched steel check-plate. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Ironically it's also right next to the cathedral, which is of weedy sandstone simply wearing away in the face of the Cornish climate. So not just a kerb but possibly also a silently scathing comment by the local quarrymen on the use of inferior stone from "up country".

      Delete
  3. Looks like the pink Aberdeenshire granite we have all over the place up here Alf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're absolutely surrounded by the stuff down here too. Speaking for myself I'd rather be surrounded by good old London brick, but that's the hopeless urbanite in me.

      Delete

Owing to vast quantities of spam this blog is getting, I'm afraid only registered users can post. All comments are moderated before publication, so there may be some delay. My apologies.