Thursday, July 18, 2013

Bamboo Basketry

Basket weaving has something of an "occupational therapy/you're probably cuckoo" connotation to it to my mind, if I'm honest. But on the other hand there's always something very calming and vaguely hypnotic about watching any Japanese craftsperson at work.

Plus there's a really, really interesting technique for thicknessing the bamboo strips that's certainly new to me. The very definition of simplifying your tooling.

So, eight and a bit minutes of Mr Chifuyu Enomoto doing his thing for your attention. (The interesting technique is around the 2:20 mark)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Owing to vast quantities of spam this blog is getting, I'm afraid only registered users can post. All comments are moderated before publication, so there may be some delay. My apologies.