Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Baby, it's cold outside

A while back I came across a discussion of favoured braces, and one chap voted for a make that eludes my memory, but rather than the familiar hardwood handle on the crank, instead favoured the bulge-in-the-metal variety. Like this one on the wagon builder's brace I picked up a while back:


Yes, that bit furthest away from the camera. We'll call it an arty shot as opposed to a helpful one, 'kay?

Anyway, as I currently find the skin of my hand fusing to any metal handle I unwisely grasp, and the bones within freezing to so many shards of ice, I came to a rapid conclusion about this choice.

It may be a fortuitous location or just a really good heater, but this guy has a really well heated w'shop.

I don't. It's cold out there. That's why I'm in here.

1 comment:

  1. Alf, I think John Manners at one point said that oldtimers used to wrap a rag 'round that handle to reduce the friction. I've only one brace with that feature (so-called Scotch brace), and bought it purely because I really like the shape. It's not bad in a warm shop, but I reach for a Spofford with pewter-ringed handle first.

    ReplyDelete

Owing to vast quantities of spam this blog is getting, I'm afraid only registered users can post. All comments are moderated before publication, so there may be some delay. My apologies.