Sunday, August 14, 2011

New Hand Tools

July |joŏˈlī|
noun1. the seventh month of the year, in the northern hemisphere usually considered the second month of summer2. the month in which Blogging Does Not Happen
Mind you, August isn't looking too hot, blog-wise either, is it, reader? Sorry about dat. But hey, you know me, if I was actually in the workshop I wouldn't be able to resist telling you all about it, so rest assured you're not missing anything.

But I have not been idle, although twiddling my thumbs has been a feature. For some reason, after a lifetime of indulging in the dreadful habit, I randomly stopped biting my nails a month or so ago. As a result, I now have these potentially lethal sharp edges appearing that, I can tell you, feel really weird when you haven't had them before.


(Yes, I did feel compelled to go "Grrrr" when I posed for this, why do you ask?)

So now I'm faced with alien questions like "What grit is an emery board anyway?" "When is David Charlesworth's seminal work on the care of fingernails in the w'shop coming out?" And most importantly of all, "What bevel angle should I sharpen them to? And will the ruler trick be necessary...?"

All very worrying, but hey, you can't get much more hand tool than this, can you...? ;)

6 comments:

  1. I still haven't figured out how you're taking these pictures with both of your hands in the image.

    A pair of spectacles with the spy camera mounted in the bridge (a la Austin Powers)?

    Bionic eye (a la Steve Austin)?

    An alien-like third hand (a la Total Recall... oh, wait, that wasn't... oh, never mind)?

    Mind-boggling...

    Regardless, welcome back to the blogging world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Alf! They look so much better.

    I stopped biting mine about 40 years ago. It feels great when you eventually stop, doesn't it?

    Cheers ;-)

    Paul Chapman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations also. I stopped chewing my nails to bits when I was 26. I am 60 now but I can still remember the exact same feelings you described. It took a little longer to stop chewing pencils to bits though.

    Rick in Oakville Canada

    ReplyDelete
  4. July is definitely way too nice a month to be blogging in. Not only that, but there are tons of renovations being done during the summer so if your carpentry work is getting used in that industry you might not have time either. Either way, welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! Now you will be like the rest of us when we are holding something and taking a picture of it and wondering how our nails got so much dirt under them.
    How did you take that picture though?

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM1b0Vi3EnQ

    ReplyDelete

Owing to vast quantities of spam this blog is getting, I'm afraid only registered users can post. All comments are moderated before publication, so there may be some delay. My apologies.