Monday, June 28, 2010

You say Ovolo...

... Stanley say Quarter Hollow. Let's call the whole thing off. Or rather, let's not, because I like the Ovolo and a recent email on using one in a Stanley #45 caused me to look into the matter a little.

Now, as far as I'm aware, Stanley never offered an Ovolo cutter for the #45 or later brethren, although there were (eventually) six sizes of Quarter Hollow for the #55 - cutter numbers 61-66. Record, on the other hand, from the get-go offered three sizes of Ovolo cutter amongst their additional cutters. Now I have a later model #405 and that had a couple of Ovolos included instead of the less useful Sash cutter - it must have come that way because the oh-so-tacky plastic wallet helpfully labels the content. An excellent move on Record's part, in my opinion, and I bless them for it - the Ovolo inclusion, not the tacky plastic wallet... Because they work really well, as you can see in the last section of this ancient video of mine:



"Great," I hear you #45 owners cry, "I'll look out for a Record Ovolo cutter and try it in my Stanley plane." Ah, might want to hold your horses there. Here's a comparison of the Record #405 using its provided cutter, and the same cutter in a #45: (you'll need to click on it to see the large image)


Bet you thought the Stanley and the Record were near-as-dammit identical too, didn't you? So how about the #55 cutters? All Stanley right? That's going to work. Um...

Did you spot the captioning cock-up, kiddies? I hate it when that happens...

Of course this shouldn't surprise us that much. With its adjustable depth skate and so forth, the #55 cutter is able to be designed with the shallowest part of the cut handled by the main body skate and the deepest by the depth adjustable skate. In contrast, the #405 skate is lined up with the deepest part of the cut and the rest of the cutter has to make its own arrangements. And yes, you'd think that'd be a disaster. The slightly stubbier profile helps, I think.

However, having dashed all you #45 owners' hopes, it seems to me an Ovolo cutter reground in the right places to provide the necessary clearance for the #45 should work. Or one ground from scratch, of course. I have no reason to do it (she says, hugging her #405 to her person and never letting go) and I haven't heard back from my correspondent to see if he's tried it either, but if anyone has - or is inspired to give it a go - I'd be interested to hear how you got on.

Naturally, when talking about details of manufacture of combination planes, my usual caveats apply - I can't guarantee that any of this applies to any examples of these planes and cutters other than the ones I have.

3 comments:

  1. Great stuff, Alf. I must check mine sometime.

    Cheers ;-)

    Paul Chapman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you've been busy, Alf, with the new-look blog. Very nice.

    Cheers ;-)

    Paul Chapman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought it was about time it had a bit of a refurb :)

    ReplyDelete

Owing to vast quantities of spam this blog is getting, I'm afraid only registered users can post. All comments are moderated before publication, so there may be some delay. My apologies.