Friday, May 11, 2007

Fiddly bits

What with the whole Noah thing I didn't share my wooden haul from last Saturday, did I?


The rebate plane is a narrower one than the general run of skew rebates I see, and that plus the generous length of remaining blade persuaded me to make the effort to haggle it down to a quid. Just as well seeing as I then blew my remaining cash on the clamps. They're not Jorgies obviously, but the advantage of seeing them in the flesh is you can at least pick out the ones that work smoothly. Yes, they were some of many - new. For sale in an actual shop. I know, shocking ain't it? But they're jolly useful and after all you can never have enough clamps...

Meanwhile not being able to easily find and use the tools I already have has been getting me down a good deal. I finally came to the conclusion the Ultimate Hand Tool Storage wasn't going to happen without some trial runs, so using the crummy kitchen cabinets as the shell I've set to work. As I suspected all along - these "simple layouts" take an inordinately long time to actually do. Not helped by the very hard wood strips needing pre-boring for the pins. Nothing is glued of course; inevitably things will get changed round and indeed there are already a few redundant holes...


Still it all looks like the end of the tunnel is in sight, doesn't it? Not on your nelly. There's the other side to do yet...


It'd make much more sense to be assembling a For Sale list... Anyway, then will come the creative work to hold cutters and such, all of which will take a disproportionate amount of time 'cos fiddly bits always do. And in the meantime you're sitting there saying "but Alf, what about that door for the sawtill?" Yes, good point. Noted...

1 comment:

  1. Alf,

    Nice collection of today's planes! I like the dense arrangement of tools, it has something I cannot tell... Sure you will fill the gaps :-)

    For the door of the sawtill, no problem Alf we'll wait, mine took nearly two years waiting for the glue-up.

    Let's build a bench today...

    ReplyDelete

Owing to vast quantities of spam this blog is getting, I'm afraid only registered users can post. All comments are moderated before publication, so there may be some delay. My apologies.