Thursday, August 03, 2006

Just a handle-making fool

So who was it that was so doubtful about whether I'd get anything done today? Huh? Come on, stand up so we can all see you...

Oh yeah, that would be me.

Yes indeedy, I've surprised myself and the swept floor is once more bedecked with shavings, and pretty fancy, high class ones too. I've seized the chisel handle nettle firmly and am going for it in a Big Way. Time will tell if I'm successful of course, but it's jolly good fun playing with all these exotics when my usual run of timber use is so mundane. The itty-bitty Mujifang smoother, which I sort of had in mind for this job when I ordered it, has proved to be a champ. Only one timber really defeated it, and frankly I think it would have had even angels swearing.



Unfortunately I find myself slightly embarassed in the ferrule department, so while I've ordered some with hopes of swift delivery, things may be unavoidably delayed in the mean time. Never mind, I can do the socket ones while I'm waiting. I did actually place the jointer and saw in close proximity today, but when it came to it I couldn't quite find the nerve to do the deed and harvest the hornbeam. The Stanley's going to get a distinctly unauthentic handle instead...



Now, anyone want to play "What wood?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Owing to vast quantities of spam this blog is getting, I'm afraid only registered users can post. All comments are moderated before publication, so there may be some delay. My apologies.