Sunday, July 03, 2005

'Lac-ing excitement

Dissolving shellac really is on a par with watching paint dry. Except drying paint doesn't require me to pay attention and remember to shake the bloomin' stuff every-so-often. Needless to say, despite having the jar of blonde, de-waxed flakes and solvent right here next to the keyboard, I forgot to give it a quick swill round and it's stuck in a big clump at the bottom. Apparently a coffee grinder is handy to grind up the flakes so they'll dissolve quicker, so I've been keeping an eye open for one at the car boot sales. I did find one a couple of weeks ago, but it was full of coffee beans and they smelt so wonderful and it seemed such a shame to just toss them, I didn't even ask how much the grinder was but just walked on. I know; crazy. Hmm, looking at that jar, I could do with a little more alcohol in there. I mix it Galoot Fashion, which means to toss a few flakes in the jar and cover them with the solvent. Refreshingly hit'n'miss, I think you'll agree...

Talking of car boot sales, found another saw this morning. A 12", or might be 14" back saw, can't recall, with nearly all its teeth jointed away. Oh, and a Yankee screwdriver bit, which I belatedly realised is bent, but for 20p I'll take the trouble of hitting it wiv an 'ammer to straighten it I suppose. The question is, should I have bought the 8" steel-backed dovetail saw for £5? Oh well, too late now. The WS Manufacturing Ltd. #4 was still there to taunt me; it's getting harder and harder to resist...

And before you ask, no, I haven't done the buttons yet. I think they've become my new Woodworker's Block...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Owing to vast quantities of spam this blog is getting, I'm afraid only registered users can post. All comments are moderated before publication, so there may be some delay. My apologies.