Sunday, March 06, 2005

Ahhh, rust.

For the first time in what seems an age I came back from the car boot having actually bought something. Okay, so it's nothing major - a Marples honing guide (with instructions!) - but at least it wasn't a total washout. Also saw a Disston back saw that was virtually worn/rusted away, and for a moment I thought I'd found the Yankee hand drill, who's number escapes me, with the ratchet that I've always wanted. Well I had, but the ratchet mechanism was shot. :~( Oh well, I'm getting closer to one. The nearest I'd got before this morning was a "you should have been here yesterday, we had one of those drills which go forwards and backwards and stuff". Anyway you could say I found two great tools, just about 40 years too late to save them...

I Googled for the honing guide and found an example here. Now either I've just made the buy of the century and can expect a twelve-fold return on my investment, or they're a tiny bit optimistic... But if anyone reading this wants to offer me that much for it, it's a done deal. ;~)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Owing to vast quantities of spam this blog is getting, I'm afraid only registered users can post. All comments are moderated before publication, so there may be some delay. My apologies.